Mothering Forum banner

February room challenge

3K views 106 replies 23 participants last post by  MamaFern 
#1 ·
So... what do we want to do? A whatever you want again? A specific room?

#2 ·
My vote is the for basement (if you have one) or attic or garage...wherever you do your "deep" storage.

DH and I have to finish getting our basement in shape so that we have a place to do some woodworking once the weather breaks. We've gotta a heap of home remodeling projects to do this summer! I've been working on my basement ever since we moved in - a little over a year ago. It's close to where I want it, but I need to break down and buy some better storage boxes and either build or buy some more shelving. I also need to figure out an ingenious solution for storing all the bulky baby gear that we don't want to get rid of just yet (as we're hoping for #2 in the next year or so).

Anyone have another room idea?

#3 ·
:

#6 ·
At first I was thinking
: I'd be freezing in there but you know what? I may just do the garage after all. It's really cluttered because all winter we drag everything we don't want down into it. My plan is to move by summer and the last thing I want is to have to empty it while we are moving. So I'm in, we also have a nice week off in Fab so I'll take advantage of that too! I'll post pics in a bit.

#9 ·
well, our garage is sitting in about 6 inches of snow in below freezing temps....unheated, detached garage. so i think we'll sit this one out as we won't get out there and try and work until late spring/summer.

it's just too
: right now.

#12 ·
storage spaces sound great to me..i have very little, but it needs work none the less. im including closets in my storage too, since its our everyday storage..and ill be able to post pictures this time!! my new computer arrived today
:

#13 ·
Oooo...yes.The attic is what I need to do.I've been dragging everything up there.Plus my sister is pregnant and I need to go through all the baby stuff to see what she might want.

Although,my husband isn't really going to be around very much this month so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get done.Well,I'm going to try anyway.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
storage spaces sound great to me..i have very little, but it needs work none the less. im including closets in my storage too, since its our everyday storage..and ill be able to post pictures this time!! my new computer arrived today
:
Congrats on the new computer!!!!

That gave me an idea, If it's too cold for you to work on your storage area or your storage is all ready in order, what about your computer? Do you have files that need to be gone through, organized, deleted? maybe your cell phone if you have a fancy one? your address book? or maybe an email account? I know it doesn't give actual usable walking, living space, but eliminates clutter none the less.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightheart View Post

That gave me an idea, If it's too cold for you to work on your storage area or your storage is all ready in order, what about your computer? Do you have files that need to be gone through, organized, deleted? maybe your cell phone if you have a fancy one? your address book? or maybe an email account? I know it doesn't give actual usable walking, living space, but eliminates clutter none the less.
Great idea!
That's something I often need to do, but never get around to it.

#17 ·
Ok, so here are my specific goals:

In the basement
1) Organize these (http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/) shelves and get better containers to do it.

2) Organize these shelves (http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/) - remove all items that are not related to camping/kayaking/stunt kites. I want these shelves to be used only for out door hobby stuff.

3) Organize all the small tools and home improvement supplies into some plastic drawers that I already have (I cleaned out the stuff in the drawers last month).

4) Move stored furniture out of the way to rearrange large storage bins along west wall of the basement together.

In Office:
Deal with the office closet
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/). I've been dumping boxes from the basement in there. I really need to go through the boxes, figure out what I want to keep and then sell or donate the rest. I am not sure whether I will get to this closet in February...it's might be my project for next month.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightheart View Post

thanks! im happy!!still trying to figure it all out. but yeah!
and i think that is great idea! i wantt o make sure i keep this baby clean and organised. and everything backed up and all of that. ive learned my lesson!!

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
my garage needs to be cleaned, too.

But most likely DH will do it all. He seems to enjoy it for some reason.

mine too! he doesn't even let me touch his tools, etc. so i'll work on our "storage areas" as well this month. not sure about the basement as that's his domain as well (other than my laundry area), but i can work on my linen closet, cleaning closet, and our front foyer closet. and THAT should certainly keep me busy! lol!

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Ok, so here are my specific goals:

In the basement
1) Organize these (http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/) shelves and get better containers to do it.

2) Organize these shelves (http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/) - remove all items that are not related to camping/kayaking/stunt kites. I want these shelves to be used only for out door hobby stuff.

3) Organize all the small tools and home improvement supplies into some plastic drawers that I already have (I cleaned out the stuff in the drawers last month).

4) Move stored furniture out of the way to rearrange large storage bins along west wall of the basement together.

In Office:
Deal with the office closet
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/). I've been dumping boxes from the basement in there. I really need to go through the boxes, figure out what I want to keep and then sell or donate the rest. I am not sure whether I will get to this closet in February...it's might be my project for next month.
------

You have a walk in closet with a window in your Office ..... Oh I am so so jelous....

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppermint Leaf View Post
------

You have a walk in closet with a window in your Office ..... Oh I am so so jelous....

Before you get too excited, I should tell you that it's our only semi-large closet (we have 3 closets in our house and two are ity-bity). There are many problems with this closet: 1) no lights, 2) too narrow (only 3 feet wide - the picture makes it look huge), and 3) the ceiling slopes, so you can't hang a rod for clothes. It's pretty useless, but I've gotta make due with what I've got.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Before you get too excited, I should tell you that it's our only semi-large closet (we have 3 closets in our house and two are ity-bity). There are many problems with this closet: 1) no lights, 2) too narrow (only 3 feet wide - the picture makes it look huge), and 3) the ceiling slopes, so you can't hang a rod for clothes. It's pretty useless, but I've gotta make due with what I've got.

my dream home (which is purely in my head) .. has a walk in office closet

#26 ·
I'm working on the storage closets in our house, as we have no basement/attic/garage.

So far I've gone through the bathroom storage (blogged here) and I'm working on the linen closet, hall/craft closet, and closed living room shelving this week as well.

It's like reverse nesting around here - I'm feeling the need to declutter with a 5 month old baby. Why couldn't I have done this while pregnant so I didn't have to do it while wearing her?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.